Mrs. Fields?


More like Ms. Ross . . .

These cookies were really reminiscent of the type I used to covertly buy to accentuate my mall wanderings. It was as if Mrs. Fields and I were up to no good, enjoying an elicit affair. Now that I think about it, those mall cookies were probably chock-full of unsavory items- partially hydrogenated oils, corn syrup, artificial 'flavors' and the like. . . These homemade lovelies were full of the good and the flavor. I will tweak the recipe a bit next time to try to get them to rise more, but alas these shall do for now. They are perfect as an afternoon snack, heated up a tiny bit in the microwave . . . Oh my . . . Chewy, moist, a little salty and very gooey -- let me have another!

Ms. Leela's Chocolate Chip Cookies
(adapted from Vegcooking.com)

If you like softer cookies, bake these until the edges are slightly browned, and cool them on the sheet for five minutes before removing them to a rack. If you like harder cookies, bake these until the edges are browned and the centers are slightly browned.

2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda *
1 cup margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Egg Replacer equivalent of 2 eggs (Ener-G Egg Replacer works best, but you can also mix together 2 tsp. cornstarch and 1/4 cup water)
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used shaved and chopped 70% dark chocolate from a giant bar)
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
• In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
• In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and egg replacer mixture. Stir in the flour mixture and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix.
• Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes approximately 40 cookies

* note: I would increase this to 2 tsp. next time for a loftier cookie.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these delicious treats with me. I love Leela's cookies!

    ReplyDelete