And the Mother dear . . .


::bbqed seitan, fresh collards and mashed sweet potatoes::


::Oh my:: so good::

My Mama shall be happy to know -- that sweet potatoes, seitan and greens will be served tonight!  The Southern influence runs strong through my veins . . . We had many happy times around the table with my Momma . . . She made us cornbread and green beans -- and we were very good at ordering Chinese food and eating it on the couch when my Daddy was out of town!  Oh, what I wouldn't give for another lounge session with my Mom and a cup of coffee reading the newspaper in her jammies . . . 

Making Seitan::
It's sort of magical watching the vital wheat gluten flour become a rubbery mass.  This was my first time making this ingenious, proteinous delight and I can't wait to work it again.

This recipe is adapted from veganchef
I omitted the onion and garlic powders, but they probably would have been yummy.
serves 4

1 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
2 tsp onion powder 
1 tsp garlic powder
freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 c water or vegetable stock (I used stock)
2 quarts vegetable stock

Method:
In a medium bowl, place the vital wheat gluten and spices and stir lightly.  Add the 1 1/2 c water (or stock) and stir well to combine.  Using your hands, knead the mixture for 1-2 minutes to form a smooth and pliable ball of dough.  Divide the mixture into 2 pieces and form into logs. Place the 2 quarts vegetable stock in a large saucepan or pot and place the saucepan over low heat.  Add the seitan logs, cover, and simmer (no boiling allowed) for 40-50 minutes.  remove the seitan from the broth and allow it to cool slightly before use.  

No comments:

Post a Comment