An Oatmeal cookie and a Granola bar walk into a bar . . .





In search of a convenience food for my new schedule -- leaving the house by 7am (Good God!) I started thinking about a granola-ish bar. After eating my fair share of cliff and balance bars, and my stomach feeling full of sugary lead, I knew I could do better. What I made this afternoon is a not-too-sweet version of granola bar who met an oatmeal cookie. This little friend definitely needs a smear of jam or squirt of agave nectar, whatever suits your mood. But it definitely hits the spot when I'm in between classes and my tummy is a-rumblin. They may also be good with a bit of nut butter (touche classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich.)

Snacky Bar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 c soft tofu, mashed into a creamy consistency
1/2 c soy yogurt
Egg replacer equivalent of 2 eggs
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. non-dairy milk (almond milk is my preference)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups oats
2 oz. slivered almonds
2 oz. chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

Preheat the oven to 350°F

Lightly grease a 9x9-inch square baking dish or a muffin-top pan (I happen to have one of these) or even a madeline pan

Whisk together the brown sugar, sugar, soy yogurt, egg replacer, oil, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.

Add to the wet mixture and stir until just combined.

Put dough into prepared dish (or muffin-top/madeline pan) and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

You will need to increase your cooking time if you are making bars in one pan.

Makes 1 dozen bars

No comments:

Post a Comment