Apple Cake




I have succumb to the fact that the leaves are changing and the fall is upon us -- in times like these, seasonal transitions, I am most happy. We aren't bored or used to the everyday duldrums of the next few months -- it's still surprising to wake up to a slight pitter patter of rain or notice the trees on our block have already begun their transformation to a brighter shade of red. Being in Portland is great for this type of shift -- with crisp air, moisture everywhere and leaves that fall delicately to the ground, as I watch them wistfully while lounging in the hammock. . . I basically fall in love with fall. I think it's my favorite season here. And, with Fall, comes apples. With apples, comes a nice apple cake. And, yes, we did pick the apples in an amazing learning garden, our friend helps make happen.

Apple Cake (adapted from the Joy of Vegan Baking)

Ingredients:
3 c unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 1/2 tsps egg replacer
6 tbsp water
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1 1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c non-dairy milk (I like almond milk)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 c chopped apples

My Method:
Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Lightly grease and flour a bunt cake pan or a few mini bunt pans (like I have). Mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Combine water and egg replacer in a small bowl. Add oil, vanilla, non-dairy milk and sugar to the egg replacer/water mixture. Whisk to combine. Fold wet ingredients into dry, adding apples at the end. Batter will be very thick -- don't worry about it, just pat it down into your pans. Bake for approximately 30 - 4o minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Invert onto a pretty plate and dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. "I have succumb to the fact that the leaves are changing and the fall is upon us -- in times like these, seasonal transitions, I am most happy."...Ah you make me grateful for many things. Nothing like shuffling along a sidewalk, contemplating your apple cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of pan did you use? They look gorgeous? Pray, do tell!

    ReplyDelete