When a Friend says, "Don't bring anything!"




I say "ha!"


After my kindly professor invited me, so graciously, to her home for Yom Kippur supper, I knew a kugel was to be made. Last week, I dined with several stately folks at a lovely, early-evening meal. There was a lot of laughter and wonderful conversation. It was so nice to be invited into an old family home for a gathering. The event was a perfect example of how food, several generations, traditions and rituals can leave us feeling so full -- literally and figuratively. I had a fantastic time and had to rub my cheeks all the way home, due to my immense smiling at the gentleman to my left--Ernie, with the red bow tie.

Ingredients:
1 12 oz package dry noodles -- I used bow ties, my all-time favorite
2 c silken tofu
1/4 c tofutti sour cream
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c raisins
2 large apples, diced
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice

for topping:
1/2 c chopped pecans
3/4 c crushed cereal (I like Barbara's Shredded Spoonfuls for this, but you could use Cornflakes or another flaky cereal)
pinch salt
1 tbsp sugar

My Method:

Preheat oven to 425ยบ. Cook noodles according to package instructions, set aside. Cream the tofu, tofutti sour cream, sugar, vanilla, almond and spices in an electric mixer.

Mix pasta into tofu cream, along with apples and raisins. Pour noodle mixture into a greased lasagna pan. In a separate bowl, combine pecans, cereal, sugar and salt. Evenly sprinkle this onto the noodle mixture.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 10-12. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment