Breakfast on my Mind


Is there anything more delightful than the smell of decadent French toast wafting down the hall on a early-Spring morning? Not so, I say. The satisfying chew and crunch of the outer layer, co-existing with the elegant, soft interior – it's a real study in contrasts. A decadent way to emerge – on a school day, no less! But, that's what happens when you start thinking about breakfast while preparing your dinner – that's just the type of breakfast food obsession I foster . . . Adding to it like a sourdough starter, until it grows into the monster that is my breakfast mind. Unfortunately there is much fodder for this fire all across the food blogs that I day dream upon. It's sick. I'm sick – and so full, as I type this 4 hours later.


French Toast from the Heavens
(adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance)

1 stale baguette, sliced in ½ inch pieces
¾ c non-dairy milk (I like almond milk the best)
¼ c soy creamer
1 pinch salt
¼ c chickpea flour (available at natural foods stores and Indian markets)
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp vanilla
dash of cinnamon
canola oil for cooking

Combine milk, creamer and vanilla in a large shallow dish. Whisk in cornstarch and chickpea flour until mixture is smooth (a few lumps are okay). Add cinnamon and salt and do a final whisk. Place stale bread slices in pan, soaking in mixture for about 5 minutes. Turn once during soak. Meanwhile, preheat large pan with 1-2 tbsp of canola oil. Leave on burner to heat until bread is soaked. Cook slices for about two minutes per side – I like mine a little well done. Place in a warm oven on a cookie sheet until serving.

I serve mine with fruit, a light coat of powdered sugar and maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment