NEW HOUSE + COOKIES


(sugar marshmallow cookies rest on an Indian garland I made many moons ago)

I swear, stress is bad and evil and all, but sometimes it leads me to creating some of my more ridiculous baked goods. This occasion, being jobless, homeless and adjusting to life back in reality, called for a minor freak out and an equally freaky cookie I just had to have in my mouth -- a vegan sugar cookie, bursting with fluffy vegan marshmallows Steph, my sister-in-law, had on hand. Brilliant! We can all use a little sweet thang to pep up the spirits now and again. From the inside out.

And, in light of all these challenges, there is a wonderful part to this transitional time -- and that is Dave and I found a place to live! We will rest our tired little bones in NE Portland, .3 miles from my brother and his lady, 1.5 miles from Dave's brother and Steph -- and just a few blocks from 2 other close friends, as well as others. I am so happy to be typing this little entry, late at night, from the perch in the trees on NE Mason St.

Hooray!

Amazing Sugar Marshmallow Cookies

1/2 c vegan margarine (I used Earth balance)
4 tbsp brown sugar
6 tbsp powdered sugar
1 egg equivalent, not prepared w/ liquid (I used 1 1/2 tsp of Ener-g Egg Replacer_
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c vegan marshmallows, cut into small pieces

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, cream together the margarine, sugars, egg replacer and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda and salt into the creamed sugars. Lastly, add the marshmallows until the batter has just combined. Drop the dough into two inch balls onto the cookie sheet. Bake for 9 minutes -- no longer -- they will look a little underdone... But then, let them cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes longer. This cooling on the sheet ensures doneness, yet the cookies remain really chewy and moist. I swear these taste like the Mrs. Fields cookies of my mall days as a kid. They are really sweet and very tasty.




1 comment:

  1. Leela - I love your blog! I have been living vicariously through you during your travels to India and beyond... Congratulations on the new home! Bake a loaf of bread - it brings good luck!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete