QUICHE and DAD


(My dad in Istanbul and at a friend's wedding -- photo on left by me, at right, Jeff Clark)


(the quiche is finishing in our brand new oven)

Oh how I wish my Dad was here having Father's Day breakfast with us -- we could eat a slice of this quiche, fill up on coffee, go for a walk, maybe a few garage sales, read our books and then pass out on the couch for a few hours. Happy Father's Day, DADOO! He's the one who made me brave enough to venture into the kitchen at a restaurant in some far-flung country, ask tons of questions, and take pictures all the way. I love you, Pops, like nobody's business. And yes, we are going somewhere here -- we're getting on with this quiche thing.

I love quiche -- at once hearty and savory, it can also be a nice filling snack, perfect for fueling domestic projects. This one involved everything in the kitchen sink -- mushrooms, fresh herbs from a friend's garden, a little cheddar, veggie sausage and about five eggs to bind it all together. The unusual aspect of it was that I used olive oil in place of the butter/shortening in the crust and it turned out tender, with notes of fruitiness. I would definitely try the oil approach again -- very easy, convenient (I always have decent oil on hand), yielded a nice crumbly texture and tasted divine.

Cheers to yummy breakfast items and Fathers throughout the land!

2 comments:

  1. Ah quiche! How fond are my memories of quiche, forgotten, silently molding in my underused oven on Anapamu St.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those quiches are still there in that oven.

    ReplyDelete