CARDAMOM APRICOT LASSI









I miss India. I miss the heat, the brightly-colored saris, the kinetic and devilishly slow pace, the interesting assortment of mustache styles, the free-falling off the high dive into the cosmic swimming pool, the first bite of a really nice flaky masala dosa, holding people's babies for photos, chatting on every bus ride with my fellow travelers, the feeling that every day something crazy and unexpected could happen . . . Like being invited to a 3-day wedding, spotting gray monkeys in a papaya tree or having the spice guy give me a 'family' discount. That was amazing.

I was reminiscing on the subcontinent and all of it's flavors, and thinking about what's in season here-- apricots, stone fruits and things of this nature are exploding in the Northwest, papaya and mango, however, are not. Thus, the cardamom apricot lassi was born. So tangy and delicious on a summer afternoon, might even be perfect as a popsicle, frozen in molds with a stick or spoon in the center, kinda like this.

Cardamom Apricot Lassi
serves 2 (generously)

Ingredients:
4 ripe apricots, cut in half
1/2 c plain greek yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cardamom (or more to taste)
1/2 c soy or almond milk
3 ice cubes

Method:
Blend at a high speed until all ingredients are combined. Then, blend a little more so it's extra smooth and lassi-like. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun twist on mango lassi--my favorite. I'm going to have to try this..

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely a nice twist on my favorite, as well, the mango lassi.

    so refreshing!

    -Leela

    ReplyDelete
  3. you could pour this all over my face whilst sleeping and i would wake up quite happy. indeed! and i like you remembering india. it will forever await our return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like positive people,i like your post but unfortunately my Indian memories are a night mare.The horrible mosquitoes,the yakhy house flies buzzing on every food and i still remember/feel their sticky legs on my skin,the "diarrhea".The sweating from head to toe lol and the dodgy taxi driver.people spiting and pissing freely on streets ...lol...lol Good to hear someone had a good experience.

    ReplyDelete