LITTLE THINGS: CURRY LEAVES




Have you ever seen a curry leaf?  They are fragrant and gorgeous fresh and I've never been able to find them outside of India.  Until now!  They have a nutty, bold flavor that is impossible to replicate and I've always missed having the real-deal on hand.  Gone are my curry leaf-deprived days -- Hooray!  If you can find them, and I did at an Asian Grocery near our house, just crush about 5 leaves into any lentils, rice or curry to unlock a truly South Indian taste.  They cost 1.99 (many more rupees than I'm used to paying) and keep for up to a week in a plastic tub.  I'm so happy!

3 comments:

  1. you are removing all my stumbling blocks to gourmet cooking. yeah! i might even eat lentils now, as mine always taste like mush. Thanks, LTLMTC (Likes to Look More than Cook)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curry leaves, yes! Love your fig tartines, mexican candy adventures, and photos from the swifts. Your blog is like music for my eyes, candy for my soul, and cake for my belly :). It's that good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *plus* you can freeze then! i add them to my coconut curry all the time. have you tried them in karhi- the vegetarian dish of chickpea fritters poached in a chickpea flour and yoghurt dish? come over, i'll make it for you! x shayma

    ReplyDelete