THE (SEMI) ADULT MONKEY: BANANA DATE ALMOND SHAKE



D and I have become obsessed with a beverage so sweet, so simple and so splendid -- a banana date almond shake. There was something on the menu of my favorite after-school snack stop in grade school, I believe it was called "the monkey." It is only fitting that we should return to this flavor profile as (semi) grown ups. Now it's an after-work (soon to be after-school for D--yipee!) monkey -- whatever time of day, whatever you call it . . . This shake is sure to get your lips smackin.

It's so tasty.

Sigh.

Now I'm pining for the time when my Dad picked me up and dropped me off from school . . . He often wore a conehead and declared "disgusting donut day" whereupon my brother and I and all of our carpool buddies were allowed to pick out the biggest, most heavily-sprinkled, frosted piece of fried dough at our neighborhood donut shop -- no questions asked, no health concerns heeded. I always got a plain glazed twist -- ugh -- I'm purely a chocolate cake donut girl now, thank God! Anyway . . .

Banana Date Almond Shake
serves 2 as a snack, 1 for breakfast


1 date, finely chopped
1 frozen banana, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
2 tablespoons almond butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup water, depending on desired thickness (both thickish and thinnish are lovely)
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Method:
I place all ingredients in the blender and whizz until uniform and creamy. I always have a few remaining date pieces that don't fully blend, but they are delicious with a spoon at the end of the treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment