Snacking on the Porch


:: Tricia contemplates the cookie before feasting ::

:: The snack and the couch ::
:: The afternoon view from the porch ::

While the summer seems to be peaking out, I seem to be enjoying the lingering sun even more in the afternoons.  I have started school again and the rhythm of my day is speeding up, spinning even.  I am so excited though -- many changes are here (I even got my hair highlighted).  And yet, my afternoons seem to be bursting with relaxation.  This entire week from about 3:30-5 pm, Dave and I have been reading and lounging in the park, taking walks and getting coffees before we have to get back to work.  So, I was thrilled when my darling and fellow food-obsessed friend invited me over for tea.  Tricia set out a snack plate: rice cakes with miso, freshly sliced local pears and apples and fresh-brewed iced tea.  I brought along a couple of glazed lemon poppy seed cookies that I made last night.  Their texture was really nice--crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle.  And the hint of glaze really brought out that bright lemon sweetness.  A delicious friendship and food-filled porch fest was much delighted in. 

Glazed Lemon Poppy seed Cookies

makes a dozen large cookies
1/2 c veg butter
2 tbsp water
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp non-dairy creamer
1 3/4 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp poppy seeds

my method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place parchment paper onto one large baking sheet.  Whisk together egg replacer and water until thickened (about 1 minute) and set aside.  Cream together sugar, veg butter, non-dairy creamer and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients, including poppy seeds and lemon zest.  Mix until just combined.  At this point, you could refrigerate the dough for an hour or more and roll out dough to cut into shapes.  I had no time to waste (I wanted my cookies yesterday!), so I simply flattened little balls of the dough (2 in' wide) and threw them in the oven.  Bake for 12-15 minutes.  Cool on wire rack or eat one immediately and be oh so happy.

Lemony Glaze
makes enough glaze for 12 cookies, plus a little extra for whateva
3/4 c powdered sugar (sifted)
1 1/2 tsp egg replacer
2 tbsp water
1/4 tsp almond extract
juice of 1/2 lemon

my method:
Whisk water and egg replacer for approximately 1 minute, until frothy.  Add powdered sugar, almond extract and lemon juice and whisk vigorously.  Frosting will thicken up pretty quickly. 
Frost cookies when cool to touch, a little warm is okay too.  Frosting will 'set up' in the next day and become slightly hard.  Store cookies in a sealed container, layering the frosted darlings in between sheets of parchment paper. 

Pucker up at the tartness and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment